The November 2017 Yard of the Month belongs to Dennis Unsworth and Larry Merica at 608 Parkview Lane. Here is what they had to say about their yard:
We appreciate so much the recognition by our neighbors for Yard of the Month.
We moved to Heights Park neighborhood in 2004 after a year searching in Dallas for a place that “felt right.” We drove by a Realtor (Janet DePuy, HPNA president) placing an open house sign at the corner of Belt Line and Floyd and we told her what we were looking for and she motioned us in! Once we discovered Heights Park, we knew we were home. Little did we know how many neighbors we would encounter that had connections along the path that led us here.
Our garden, like so many others, has been a progress of trial and error. The property had a row of red tip photinia along the front foundation and an elderly Bradford pear as the lone front specimens. Those passed early.
Several foundation plantings came and went. But the anchor — a weeping red bud we planted at the front entrance in 2004 — gets the most questions. It was complemented by a weeping lace leaf Japanese maple, which did not survive the loss of the big trees that shaded it.
We added flagstone to add interest and widen the access along the drive.
After the demise of the Bradford pear, we planted the live oak in the front. The neighborhood had so many old oaks but many were starting to disappear; so it seemed proper to put one back. That led to the current garden setting.
With input from neighbor Bob Vinson, cofounder of Nativ Landscapes, we devised a planting that focused on free form and organic flow. We wanted to have color and interest but retain the feel of a spot in nature.
Annual color for us seems best accomplished with zinnias or periwinkles. The chrysanthemums began as a basket on the porch back in 2004. One just keeps digging and dividing. In the back yard, there is a collection of family heirloom seeds and cutting from my grandmother’s gardens. They are under constant development until they find a comfortable spot in the garden.
We really enjoy the small-town home feel in the big-time city! Thank you!
Dennis Unsworth and Larry Merica
Yard of the Month
Is your yard a source a pride? A work of art? A labor of love? It’s time to receive some formal recognition for all those hours of hard work.
The HPNA Yard of the Month contest is for all residents of Heights Park neighborhood, and nominations are due by the 20th of each month. Nominations received by the 20th will be considered for the next month’s YOM. Nominations received after that will be considered in the next cycle.
Visit this site each month to see photos of the best yards in our neighborhood. View the Contest Rules here.
Nominate a Yard!
Yard Of The Month Archives
- Margaret Ann and Frank Schooler, 714 Westwood Drive
- September: Forrest Blaney, 603 Greenleaf Drive
- August: The Clatts, 714 Northil Drive
- July: The Murillos, 1000 N. Lindale Lane
- June: The Worrells, 823 Westwood Drive
- May: The Roberts, 522 Twilight Trail
- December: Lynda Leverett and Frank Norris, 639 Northill Drive
- November: Chris Michero & Steven DePuy, 619 Greenleaf Drive
- October: Daniel and Loren Meager, 623 Stardust Lane
- September: Nanci and Henry DuPlant, 530 Twilight Trail
- August: Melissa and Gabriel Williamson, 600 Winchester Drive
- July: Todd and Julie Anders, 811 Lockwood Drive
- June: The Thompsons, 613 Twilight Trail
- May: John and Gay Lynn Millerman, 804 North Floyd Road
- December: Caroline & Ashlee House, 616 Greenleaf Drive
- November: Chris and Rani McElrath, 525 Westwood Drive
- October: Chris Michero and Steven DePuy, 619 Greenleaf Drive
- September: Rosie and Bobby Donohue, 813 Westwood Drive
- August: Bob & Cindy Clatt, 714 Northill Drive
- July: Randy and Paula Carroll, 504 Ridgedale Drive
- June: Keith and Kerry Johnson, 104 North Gentle Drive
- May: Roy and Traci Price, 605 Westwood Drive
- December: Kathy Hammer and Sherry Sanderson, 801 Twilight Trail
- November: Alice and John Hutchings, 403 Thompson Drive
- October: Vincent and Jennifer Verdugo, 500 Thompson Drive
- September: Jeanie and Sid Erwin, 503 Ridgedale Drive
- August: Cindy and Tommy Dodson, 808 Ridgedale Drive
- July: 635 Parkview Lane
- June: Becky Roberts, 620 Kirby Lane
- May: Brandon, Laney, and Bryce Booher, 109 Weatherred Drive
- Holiday: Lynda Leverett and Frank Norris, 639 Northill Drive
- November, Decorated: Steven DePuy and Chris Michero, 619 Greenleaf Drive
- November: Sylvia Prussack, 609 Greenleaf Drive
- October: 710 Greenleaf Drive
- October, Decorated: Clem and Danyce Uhlig, 818 Westwood Drive
- September: Adam Travis, 617 Lockwood Drive
- August: Rick & Debby Kimball, 722 Winchester Drive
- July: 533 Parkview Lane
- June: Jack and Shirley Pittman, 504 Thompson Drive
- May: Wendy and Stephen Barclay, 609 Opal Lane
- December: Mary Lou Shiner, 819 Westwood Drive
- November: Cindy Allen and Damon Hopper, 107 Thompson Drive
- October: Steven DePuy and Chris Michero, 619 Greenleaf Drive
- September: Janis Riley at 615 Lockwood Drive
- August: Scottie & Nancy Worrell at 823 Westwood Drive
- July: Glenda Taylor at 700 Ridgedale Drive
- June: Virginia Maupin at 404 Inglewood Drive
- May: The Wagners at 619 Twilight Trail
- December: Herb and Nanci Duplant, 530 Twilight Trail
- November: Chris Michero and Steven DePuy, 619 Greenleaf Drive
- October: Karen and Andrew Popsack, 716 Westwood Drive
- September: Gilbert and Sherri Segovia, 601 Opal Lane
- August: Bobby Dunn, 710 Greenleaf Drive
- June: Jay and Mary Ann Reese, 612 Twilight Trail
- May: Judy and Roy Simmons, 603 Thompson Drive
- April: Lynda Leverett, 639 Northill Drive
- December: Matt and Lindsey Flesher, 600 Greenleaf Drive
- November: Steven DePuy and Chris Michero, 619 Greenleaf Drive
- October: Beverly Faulkner, 601 Winchester Drive
- September: Lorrie and Rick Olds, 406 Thompson Drive
- August: Teresa Wilmoth, 506 Westwood Drive
- July: Samuel Rice, 307 Thompson Drive
- June: Mimi Hathway, 628 Westwood Drive
- May: Gerardo & Colleen Mungioli, 622 Kirby Lane
- December: Clem and Danyce Uhlig, 818 Westwood Drive
- November: 533 Parkview Lane
- October: Marylou Shiner: 819 Westwood Drive
- September: Silvia Prussack: 609 Greenleaf Drive
- August: Terry Richards: 533 Greenleaf Drive
- July: Kevin Killingsworth: 824 Ridgedale Drive
- June: Frank and Margaret Schooler, 714 Westwood Drive
- May: Bill and Ann Ables, 623 Twilight Trail
- December: Matt and Lindsey Flesher, 600 Greenleaf Drive
- September: Sylvia Prussack, 609 Greenleaf Drive
- August: 615 Parkview Lane
- June: 203 Thompson Drive
- May: 632 Lockwood Drive
- September: 533 Parkview Lane
- August: 714 Westwood Drive
- July: 740 Newberry Drive
- June: 503 Thompson Drive
- May: 701 Winchester Drive